Wednesday, 26 July 2017

July Gina Ahrens Design Team Challenge- TICKETS AND USE THEM

This months Design Team Challenge for Gina Ahrens products was one I thoroughly enjoyed, We had to make some tickets and then use them in a project. I started by downloading the new digi Gina has out in her store, the patterned backgrounds. I then cut them to the desired width to make the tickets and folded then and cut the corners out, so they resembled a ticket.



 I used a vintage ink around the edges and then added two colours of acrylic paint on them, making sure I could still see the pattern on the background. I adhered a word from another of Gina's digi downloads and then backed the ticket onto some heavy card board for strength.

 I then proceeded to use the tickets as an embellishment on an altered paint brush in the theme of steampunk. The process can be seen in the video below. I think it turned out awesome, even if I do say so myself. Hope you enjoy and get inspired. xox


HAVE A GREAT DAY !

Monday, 24 July 2017

My layout in Another Australia Art Journal Swap

Before I started work in Janie's Journal, I thought to myself how far I have grown when it comes to working in another artists journal. I remember my very first swap and the feeling of being so very nervous that I would make some sort of mistake in that person's journal. Then I looked down at the blank page in Janie's SIMPLY WHIMSICAL journal and couldn't wait to start experimenting...lol.

I gave the page a light layer of gesso and have wanting to try the 'streaking' or dragging effect for some time, so why not now! I can always paint over it if it doesn't turn out. After the gesso dried, I used a paint spatular to drag a few colours from top to bottom and bottom to top to get the streaking I was hoping for. Not quite happy with the way it was going by using the spatular, I ended up using a dry hard bristled brush and found this gave me the more smudgier look, which is what I was looking for. I then used a few stencils using the same paint colours that had already been placed on the background.


When I was happy with the background, the whimsical feeling arose when I thought about using some of my 'skatter cats'. I had recently used a few of these cats in another journal and as I save all my templates of anything I draw,,,yep!...too easy...I grabbed my skatter cats, gave them a bit more colour with some watercolour paints and they were ready to be placed on the page. I used a tacky glue to adhere them and then went round the cats with a wash on white paint and then highlighted then with a black watercolour pencil. The final touch was to write the word 'FRIENDS' above the middle skatter cats and my simply whimsical layout was finished. I really enjoyed just playing in Janie's journal and hope you all enjoy the outcome as well. Thank you.


P.S. I have also included the video below, if you would like to watch the whole process.



Monday, 17 July 2017

100 Things Challenge #3, #4, #5, #6.

Number 3. For this project, I used a couple of jelly boxes for the covers of mini journals. I adhered some scrap watercolour papers on to cover the boxes and added some cut to size patterned papers for the pages inside. I also used up a few of the layered beads for dangles and decoration on the spine of the journals.


Number4. Here I have crochetted some wool flowers to use in a mixed media project. They were made from watching a few videos on YouTube.



Number 5. This project was a cosmic smash book. I have been wanting to get this journal done for such a long time and doing now as one of the projects in the #100thingschallenge seemed to be appropriate.

Number 6. This project for the #100thingschallenge was inspired by the lovely Laurie Richardson Haley on youtube. Here I used patterned papers to fold into pockets and the front has sewn assorted papers on it and then the sides of the pockets are also sewn together. Thes turned out so cute and are very useful when using in journals.



100 Things Challenge #1 and #2

I decided recently to partake in the #100thingschallenge that Rebecca from Dancingwithpits on YouTube put out. This is going to be a very interesting challenge where you ONLY use things that you already have in your craft/art stash and you don't buy anything else until after you finish the challenge. I'm gong to give this my best try in grtting to a hundred projects.

Number 1. For my first project in this challenge, I had a huge bag of assorted flower petals that had been sitting in the bag for the past two years. I rarely used them, so I thought a good way to make them usable was to layer the petals together and make them into ready to use flowers for other projects. This was a great idea and now I have these beautiful ready to use flowers.


Video below shows the finished flowers......................



Number 2. My project for this was to alter some paint brushes. I have had a few of these brushes sitting on a shelf in my studio for quite some time and finally decided to decorate them as one of the projects for the challenge. All the bits and pieces were also from my own personal stash and this was a good way to use some of it.
 Here is the video of showing the final outcome for each brush I decorated.



Below are some still shots of the final altered paint brushes........







Thanks for stopping by and come back to see the next lot of projects in the #100thingschallenge.

My Layout in Roz Willoughby's Silhouette Journal

One of my favourite themes is the silhouette and I finally had the chance to work in Roz Willoughby's silhouette themed journal. The pag...