Gentlemans' Emporium Desk Organiser

Gentlemans' Emporium Desk Organiser

Sometimes I feel it's very hard to create a project for the male in your life. But, this project of a desk organiser, I think I may have 'hit the nail on the head' and created a very practical and convenient way for a man to keep his little 'bits and pieces tidy on his desk, especially if he loves to read, as well.
The storage book shaped boxes can be used individually or as a set. Stacked side by side or used singular and can hold pens, pencils and anything else that needs a place to sit on a desk. By using the Gentlemas' Emporium paper Collection, it has given them a little touch of elegance.




What I used:
*Gentlemans' Emporium Paper Collection
*Recycled some thick cardboard
*Double-sided tape and a wet glue
*Scor Board and a cutting board
*
For the spine of the container (book shape) I chose to use the cut out images from the Gentlemans' Emporium Collection. After I cut my chosen image, I scored a 1/4 inch line at the top and the bottom.


Starting this project, I grabbed some thick caardboard from the back of an art pad and cut two squares 3in by 3 in. This will be the sides of the container. I also cut a strip 3inches by 1 1/2 in (used for the base) and another strip 1 1/2 in by 2 3/4 inch. (for the back of the container).




A TIP: I measured the distance between my two score lines which ended up being 3 inches but if your image is a little longer. Below is a picture on how you can measure the height of your sides. Fold the score lines down and mark on the cardboard and that gives you the height you will need.



I then cut two 4in by 4inch pieces from the Gentlemans' Emporium Collection, which is the cover for my sides. I used double-sided tape to adhere the cardboard on to the pattern paper. 


Then, I cut the corners off each piece, leaving about an eighth of an inch near the tip of each corner. I scored a long the sides of the cardboard, to make it easier to fold the pattern paper. I used a wet glue to glue the flaps down.


When the outside cover were on, I placed a bead of glue along bothe sides of my spine image and pressed the covered cardboard sides on. As seen below.


I cut a panel to fit between the two sides to decorate the inside of the spine image. And after gluing it in place, I then folded down the small flap at the top and folded up the small flap at the bottom on the spine panel.


When this was dry, I once again, scored a line  down the spine image and as close to the sides to make it easier to fold into shape.


Then I cut two more squares 3 in by 3in from The Gentlemans' Emporium paper and used double-sides tape to cover the inside side panels. As above.
When it was relatively dry, I placed my large glue stick in the spine part and rolled it back and forth a few time, so I would get a nice rounded shape on my container.


Now, using the 1 1/2 inch strips, I covered them with some of the cradstock supplied by Aunty Vera, that co-ordinates with the Gentlemans' Emporium Collection...on the outside: making it into an 'L' shape. On the inside I glued a strip from the paper collection off-cuts I had.

Glue is then placed along the very thin side of the 'L'shape and is then glued onto one side of the already put together book shape. Held in place for a minute or two, to give the glue time to do it's magic. Then I placed another bead on the 'L' shape and closed the other side onto it. Giving me the finished book shape container.


Once finishing my first storage container, I found it so addictive with how wonderful they looked, I had to go and make a few more. The plan was to give them to my son-in-law for Fathers' Day, so he could keep his office desk in order....BUT...not too sure about that now...I really really love how they look and turned out, I may just have to 'forget' they are on my desk, holding a few of my bits and pieces...heehee!!!


Individual or a set??? Hmmm, which one do you like better?


My process for making these Gentlemans' Emporium Desk Organiser can be viewed in the video below:


I really loved making this project but even more so..LOVE this months Gentlemans' Emporium Paper Collection...so very many wonderful used for it...not only for the male in your life but also for yourself. It has a beautiful vintage feel and look to it, so please check it out at Aunty Veras' Store.

You all have a great day!!
Wendy xox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FLOW-ISH JOURNALS are addictive!!

Artist Trading Card Holder- My Island Home

Aunty Vera Scrap and Craft Creative Project