Sweeping Plains Aussie Wall Plaque

 Aussie Wall Plaque

This project gave me a great deal of enjoyment to make and it looks fabulous hanging on my wall.  I remembered Donna's altered photo frame from NSD month in Crafty Vera and Friends group and thought I would let that inspire me to make an Aussie themed wall plaque.

I had picked up an old photo frame from our local op shop and thought it would look great jazzed up a little...

I started by prepping my frame. I pulled the backing board out and put it to the side for the time being. I then gave the old wooden frame a coat of primer/gesso.While the frame itself was drying, I also painted gesso on the large and small Australia chipboard piece from Couture Creations Sunburnt Country Chipboard Set- Australiana. I also gave one of the larger 'Australia' a coat of gesso as well.



When the gesso had dried on each piece, I then grabbed some Modeling paste and a stencil...the stencil I used was from Kaisercraft called Birch (available from Aunty Vera Scrap and Craft).



On the sides and front surface of the frame, I used the modeling paste through the stencil. I love the marks this stencil leaves on the frame. I also added the modeling paste through the stencil on the Australian chipboard pieces.




When the modeling paste had dried on all the pieces, I used my Dina Wakely Acrylic paints to paint it. I chose Sedona (a burnt reddish colour) and Olive. I wasn't too sure if I was going to like these two colours together but I totally did in the end. I was trying to make it look earthy in colour, like our Aussie outback. I painted the letter of Australia in black. I painted in random sections over the entire frame, made it look patchy,

I used my hot glue gun to attach the Australia chipboard piece to the top right hand corner of the frame. I then grabbed my Inka Gold and lightly went over the entire frame to bring out the raised parts on the frame. I absolutely love how this turned out. Both colours worked well together.

I then placed my painted frame to the side and grabbed the base board. I covered the board with No 10 paper from the Couture Creations Sweeping Plains collection. I think the colour of it went great with the frame colours.


Now it was time to make my collage. I cut around some images from paper numbered 07 and the kangaroo from No. 03. I inked the egdes of my images with some of my vintage photo ink and more or less played around with them until I was happy with the look.





I used some of the eucalyptus leaves from the ephemera set and glued them on and then made the kangaroo my main focal point on the plaque. I slightly raised the kangaroo up by using some foam tape. The last thing was to glue my letters of Australia on the bottom of my frame.
 LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the way it turned out...something so very unique and different to hang on my craft room wall.

The full process video is below:

Thank you for stopping by and I hope this project gives you some inspiration to purchase some of the Couture Creations Sweeping Plains papers, an old frame and make something similar for yourself.

Have a Great Day!

Wendy xox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FLOW-ISH JOURNALS are addictive!!

Artist Trading Card Holder- My Island Home

Aunty Vera Scrap and Craft Creative Project